Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Free Dress=Free Skirt

I found this dress on the free rack, didn't try it on, but it looked like it would be a good swinging skirt.

So, first I ripped out the zipper, then I cut it off right above the elastic casing. It was too big to stay up on its own, so I unpicked the seam holding in the elastic and pulled it out until it fit me. Then I sewed the elastic in place.

Then, I folded the casing over, pulled the elastic tight to make the fabric flush as I sewed it with the machine along the cut off edge.

Then I sewed up the zipper slit and now I have a new skirt.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

I once had a nice Indian blockprint jumper with a nice border print at the hemline that had an empire waist that was bought very cheaply at a thrift store and it got too tight in the bustline. So I did similar to what you did. Cut the bodice portion off, took the skirt portion and serged the raw edge of where the waistband was to be. Then I turned it over and single needle stitched a 1/2 inch casing. Ran 1/4 inch elastic through that casing, stitch the casing closed and voila! A new ankle length skirt!

Donna said...

Cute skirt Melissa! And that's a great idea! It looks perfect with your blouse. :o)