Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rescue Couch - Make Your Own Febreeze

The next major problem with the couch was someone let their dog lay on it, so it smelled like a dog.

First, I took off the cushion covers, washed them and put them back on. But the unwashable rest needed dealt with.

So, I decided to make my own febreeze. All the febreeze recipes I googled had fabric softener in the ingredients which I don't have, so I read a whole bunch of recipes and made one myself with the ingredients I had and thought would be helpful.

1 c. distilled water
1/4 c white vinegar
1 T rubbing alcohol
1/2 T baking soda
(essential oil drops if you want it to smell like somthing, but I just prefer smell of clean over perfume)

I put that in a spray bottle and shook it up. Then sprayed it lightly on all the surfaces and let dry overnight.

Success! It no longer smells like a dog!

If you start expirementing with making your own cleaners, always check and make sure the items you are mixing together aren't dangerous when mixed. Here was a sheet I consulted when I made the above mixture.

No comments: