Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wowser Wednesday - Tire Flower Planters

A friend of mine and I were going to turn some of her old tires into flower planters, but she is moving and since I don't really plant things on purpose because of the disappointment of watching them die, I am not going to make them for myself. But, I wanted to share with you all a great link for turning old tires into colorful flower shaped planters.

Wuv'n Acres has a great tutorial on making "blooming tire planters" along with other uses for old tires at the bottom of the page.

3 comments:

Anna said...

My hubby made a ton of these several years back. He even bought a book and such on how to and projects. The linked site didn't suggest this, but the book says to use only bias-ply tires because the steel belted ones can cause injury. Hubby said the knife could be used, but it would be very slow going, hubby got a special blade for his jig saw to use. I have 6 at the new house and am looking forward to using them next year for gardening. We have a few over at the old house, and they worked wonderfully for flowers.

Great idea!

Joanne said...

They look great! Years ago you would see swans cut out of tyres (Aussie spelling) in people's front yards.
A note of caution- tyres should not be used to grow food as they contain heavy metals that can leach out and be taken into the plant.

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have made these! Hope all is well in your world. We're doing great here!